Computer Programming Technology, Certificate
The Computer Programming Technology certificate program provides students with broad and in-depth knowledge of the theory, design and applications of digital computers and information processing technologies with a particular emphasis on programming skills. Students will acquire the background and skills to enable them to work with digital machines from microprocessors to microcomputers to mainframe systems configured in local-area network or wide-area network configurations. Students will learn: the concepts of efficient programming design, both traditional and object-oriented; to understand the role and function of computers and learn to effectively use the computer to solve complex problems; to describe and understand the various aspects of computer operating systems; to design, code, run and debug computer programs in the predominant computer industry and Internet programming languages (C++, Visual Basic, Java); to understand good database design by designing, developing forms and reports, and writing the code to prepare working databases; and to apply critical thinking and analytical skills to the computer programming solution of complex problems. Classroom discussion is supplemented with “hands-on” computer laboratory programming experience and problem-solving programming projects.
Students may enroll in this program full- or part-time. Courses are offered during daytime and/or evening hours. Students who complete the Computer Programming Technology certificate program and decide to pursue an associate in science degree may apply all of their credits towards the Computer Programming Technology A.S. degree program. Students should consult with a computer technology faculty advisor to plan their program and schedule of classes, and to discuss required course prerequisites.
|CST* 201||Introduction to MIS||3|
|CSC* 125||Programming Logic and Design with C++||3|
|CSC* 205||Visual Basic .Net I||3|
|CSC* 124||Programming Logic & Design with Python||3|
|CSC* 215||Object Oriented Programming in C++||4|
|CSC* 226||Object Oriented Programming with Java||4|
|CSC* 230||Database Concepts with Web Applications||3|
|Total Credits Required: 23|
Upon successful completion of all Computer Programming Technology certificate program requirements, graduates will
- Demonstrate the ability to understand a problem and develop logically structured solutions through the use of flowcharts, pseudo-code and C++ code.
- Differentiate and understand the role and function of various current and emerging technologies, including, but not limited to, computer hardware, networking, programming, database and Internet technologies.
- Describe basic computer organization and the relationship between hardware components and the operating system.
- Identify and apply the major concepts and language requirements to design, code, execute and debug programs in the required programming languages.
- Demonstrate an understanding of proper database design. Apply System Development Life Cycle concepts to plan, design, develop and implement a database.
Division of Business, Engineering and Technology: 860-512-2620
Source: 2011-2012 Course Catalog
For Additional Information, Contact: 860-512-2623