Medical Transcription, Certificate
Business Office Technology certificate programs, the Mediccal Transcription program, allow students to specialize in areas of interest and obtain entry-level office positions. Course credit may be applied toward an associate degree. Advanced placement in keyboarding is available for students with prior training. Students can modify their programs depending upon experience.
A medical transcriptionist translates, from oral to written form, highly technical information summarizing medical histories, diagnoses and treatments for patients, and can find employment in a variety of health care settings: doctors’ offices, HMOs, medical transcription services, clinics, insurance companies and various other medical-related agencies and organizations.
This certificate programs may be taken on a full- or part-time basis. It is designed for high school graduates, persons desiring to reenter the work place and college graduates seeking employment.
|BIO* 115||Human Biology||4|
| Word Processing Applications or
Keyboarding for Information Processing II
|BOT* 280||Medical Transcription & Document Production||3|
|BOT* 180||Medical Terminology||3|
|BIO* 289||Practical Pharmacology||3|
|BOT* 111||Keyboarding for Information Processing I||3|
| Writing Procedures or
Grammar, Usage and Style
|BOT* 286||Medical Machine Transcription||3|
| BOT* 296
| Cooperative Work Experience or
|Total Credits Required: 28|
Division of Business, Engineering and Technology: 860-512-2620
Upon successful completion of all Medical Transcription certificate program requirements, graduates will
1. Read, understand and prepare standard types of business
2. Demonstrate appropriate interpersonal and human relations skills.
3. Demonstrate appropriate business office procedures.
4. Demonstrate correct medical terminology in transcribing various
5. Demonstrate appropriate skills in Microsoft Word.
6. Demonstrate speed and accuracy in keyboarding skills.
7. Understand the importance of confidentiality in dealing with medical issues.
Source: 2011-2012 Course Catalog
For Additional Information, Contact: 860-512-2623