Computer Game Design Option,
Multimedia Studies, A.A.
The purpose of the Computer Game Design Option, Multimedia Studies associate degree program is:
• To give students the training in the creative tools and principles of game design along with instruction in the underlying technology of game making.
• To offer instruction in the fundamental skills (graphics, sound, animation, 3D modeling and programming) associated with the computer games industry.
• To provide greater technical knowledge of the creative visual arts as they apply to multimedia game design and production.
The course of study demands students’ time and dedication, and will provide them with transfer and career choices based upon ability and achievement.
The program is structured to equip students with a sound foundation in technical skills, design concepts, aesthetics, terminology and vocabulary, and to provide an awareness of the application of creative and critical thinking in the use of technical knowledge. A strong emphasis has been placed on the use of the computer as a production and compositing tool.
Computer Game Design Option
|Gen Ed||ENG* 101: Composition||3|
|ART* 121||2D Design||3|
|DGA* 109||Introduction to Computer Games||3|
|DGA* 111||Introduction to Computer Graphics||3|
|Gen Ed||ENG* 110: Introduction to Literature||3|
|Gen Ed ^^||Mode 4 math course||3|
|Choose||ART* 103: Art History III or
ART* 104: Art History IV
|DGA* 212||Advanced Computer Graphics||3|
|DGA* 261||Computer Animation I||3|
|Gen Ed||Mode 6||3|
|CSC* 125||Programming Logic & Design in C++||4|
|DGA* 274||Game Design with Flash||3|
|Choose||COM* 166: Video/Filmmaking or
COM* 240: Broadcast/TV Production
|Gen Ed ^^^||Mode 5||3-4|
|Gen Ed||Mode 3||3|
|DGA* 271||3D Computer Modeling||3|
|DGA* 283||Digital Video Editing||3|
|DGA* 240||Web Page Design I||3|
|CSC* 215||Object Oriented Programming in C++||3|
|Elective ^^^^||studio (computer)||3|
|Total Credits Required: 64-66|
‡ History elective: choose from any of the Mode 6 History choices: HIS* 101, HIS* 102, HIS* 121, HIS* 122, HIS* 201 or HIS* 202
‡ ‡ Recommended Math: MAT* 138: Intermediate Algebra or MAT* 185: Trigonometric Functions or MAT* 186: Precalculus
‡ ‡ ‡ Recommended Mode 5 Science: PHY* 110: Introductory Physics
‡ ‡ ‡ ‡ Studio (computer) electives can include:
DGA* 214: Advanced Computer Graphics II
DGA* 216: Advanced Computer Graphics III
DGA* 273: 3D Computer Modeling II
DGA *262: Computer Animation II
ART* 250: Digital Photography
ART* 281: Digital Photography II
CSC* 226: Object-Oriented Programming Using Java
Upon successful completion of all Computer Game Design Option, Multimedia Studies degree program requirements, graduates will
1. Demonstrate practical skills in computer-based multimedia production including animation, 3-D modeling, digital video, interactive design and production, game design and production, and basic programming.
2. Demonstrate an ability to plan multimedia, interactive and game projects and produce all the elements involved in such projects (graphics, sound, animation and video).
3. Demonstrate an awareness of a variety of software used in multimedia and game production and the manner in which this software can be integrated in the development of projects.
4. Use their training to pursue employment in digital media development, including but not limited to, digital animation, 3-D modeling, digital sound engineering, digital video production and editing, CD-ROM and computer game development, digital graphic arts and special effects production.
In addition, the graduate will complete the comprehensive learning outcomes identified with the General Education Core.
Division of Liberal Arts: 860-512-2660
Source: 2011-2012 Course Catalog
For Additional Information, Contact: 860-512-2623