Journalism Option, Communication, A.S. Degree
The Journalism Option, Communication associate degree program is designed for students interested in pursuing careers in print journalism as correspondents, reporters or feature writers. Students will be expected to build strong writing and communication skills, as well as a broad understanding of history, government, economics, social science and ethics – all areas critical to the practicing journalist. Cooperative education/work experience is required.
Journalism Option Requirements
|Gen Ed||ENG* 101: Composition||3|
| ECN* 101
| Principles of Macroeconomics or
Principles of Microeconomics
|Gen Ed||PSY* 111: General Psychology I||3|
|COM* 173||Public Speaking||3|
|Gen Ed||Mode 3||3|
|COM* 108||Contemporary Issues in Media||3|
|COM* 222||Reporting and Writing News Stories||3|
|Gen Ed||ENG* 110: Introduction to Literature||3|
| HIS* 102
| Western Civilization II or
U.S. History II or
The U.S. Since World War II
| POL* 111
|American Government or
State and Local Government
|ENG* 200||Advanced Composition||3|
|COM* 247||Television Writing||3|
|COM* 201||Introduction to Public Relations||3|
|Gen Ed||Mode 4||3|
|COM* 295||Internship I||3|
|COM* 229||Creative Writing, Non-Fiction||3|
|COM* 101||Introduction to Mass Communication||3|
|SOC* 101||Principles of Sociology||3|
|Gen Ed||Mode 1||3|
|Gen Ed||Mode 5||3-4|
|Total Credits Required: 60-61|
Upon successful completion of all Journalism Option, Communication degree program requirements, graduates will
- Report and write basic news stories including obituaries, accident/fire/disaster stories, news conferences and town meetings, using standard news style and applying the concepts of fairness and accuracy.
- Identify, report and write feature stories.
- Report and write for television news programming.
- Operate under the Society of Professional Journalists Code of Ethics and understand the ethics involved in making journalistic and editorial choices.
- Choose appropriate sources, conduct interviews and use quotation and attribution correctly.
- Define and assess the role of the news media within the context of history, government and society.
In addition, the graduate will complete the comprehensive learning outcomes identified with the General Education Core.
Division of Liberal Arts: 860-512-2660
Source: 2011-2012 Course Catalog
For Additional Information, Contact: 860-512-2663