Management Information Systems, A.S. Degree
The Management Information Systems associate degree program is offered to students who would like to continue their studies at another college or university to earn a bachelor’s degree. This program requires a mixture of business, information systems and liberal arts and sciences courses, which students would normally take the first two years at a baccalaureate institution. Students planning to transfer should consult a counselor or faculty advisor about their choice of electives before selecting specific courses.
You should be familiar with the requirements of the institution to which you will transfer credits. We encourage you to select your transfer college or university as early as possible. Also, you should see an advisor before choosing elective courses in this associate degree program because each institution may have specific degree requirements.
Students may enroll in this program full- or part-time. Students should have a sound foundation in mathematics, problem solving and communication skills.
Management Information Systems Requirements
|ACC* 115 ^||Financial Accounting||4|
|CST* 201||Introduction to MIS||3|
|Gen Ed||ENG* 101: Composition||3|
|CSC* 124||Programming Logic & Design with Python||3|
|Gen Ed||Mode 5||4|
|ACC* 118||Managerial Accounting||4|
|COM* 173||Public Speaking||3|
|MAT* 165||Elementary Statistics with Computer Applications||4|
|Gen Ed||Mode 1||3|
|BMG* 202||Principles of Management||3|
|CSC* 205||Visual Basic .Net I||3|
|MAT* 158||Functions Graphs & Matrices||3|
|CST* 131||Network Theory & Application||4|
|BMK* 201||Principles of Marketing||3|
|Elective ^^||Technical Elective||3-4|
|MAT* 230||Applied Calculus with a Modeling Approach||3|
|CST* 205||Project Management||4|
|CSC* 230||Database Concepts with Web Applications||3|
|BBG* 234||Legal Environment of Business||3|
|Gen Ed||ECN* 102: Principles of Microeconomics or any Mode 6||3|
|Total Credits Required: 66-67|
‡ Eligibility for MAT* 095 or higher and ENG* 101.
‡‡ Technical Electives:
CST* 150: Web Design & Development I 3
CSC* 226: Object-Oriented Programming with Java 4
CSC* 295: Cooperative Education 3
BES* 118: Small Business Management 3
BMG* 204: Managerial Communication 3
Division of Business, Engineering and Technology: 860-512-2620
Upon successful completion of all Management Information Systems degree program requirements, graduates will
1. Demonstrate knowledge of core business functions including financial and managerial accounting, management, marketing and business law.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of information technology components (hardware, software and communications) that make up the information technology infrastructure of organizations and explain how information technology innovation affects organizations.
3. Explain how information systems are used to support organizational goals.
4. Describe the basic methodologies used to develop and implement computer information systems.
5. Apply basic knowledge of project management tools and techniques, including preparing a project charter, project schedule and project scope document.
6. Identify and explain the interrelationship between information technology and business.
7. Describe the concepts and principles of database design and development, and the importance of databases in organizations.
8. Demonstrate the ability to organize and present information effectively through written, spoken and electronic channels.
9. Apply basic knowledge of business functions and information systems to solve problems and develop solutions.
10. Recognize the importance of working in teams to achieve common goals, and collaborate effectively in group assignments.
In addition, the graduate will complete the comprehensive learning outcomes identified with the General Education Core.
Source: 2011-2012 Course Catalog
For Additional Information, Contact: 860-512-2623