For more information, please call the OAA Information Line at 860-512-2840.
MCCOAA members enjoy the stimulation of socializing with people who share similar interests in a wide variety of educational and entertaining activities including:
- Free monthly programs at the college with entertaining speakers and performances on a variety of subjects, with refreshments afterward, September through May (except for luncheon months)
- Reduced fees for luncheon meetings with entertainment in October, December and May at local fine restaurants
- The OAA Travel Committee arranges many popular motor coach day trips, overnight trips and international travel. Although non-members may participate, OAA members are given priority and pay discounted rates. Recent destination offerings have included Connecticut, New York City, Boston, Rhode Island, Nashville, the Ottawa Tulip Festival, Philadelphia and Portugal.
- The MCCOAA UPDATE, a monthly newsletter providing information on activities, events, credit-free courses and news of interest to active adults is available online and in print.
- A Tuition Rebate Program for credit-free courses costing more than $10, offering a 20% reimbursement of the fees paid up to a total of $50 per membership year. The MCC credit-free program offers a wide variety of low-cost courses and lectures of interest to the older adult, but all ages are welcome to participate. There are no tests or grades; courses are designed to be friendly, fun and informative. OAA does not offer credit-course rebates, but persons 62 or older may be eligible to have tuition fees waived. See the current MCC Catalogs page for details.
- Members may also utilize the college library for books, movies, music and other resources. In addition, members may join the fitness center or participate in college activities, lectures and performances.
- October 2015 Newsletter
- September 2015 Newsletter
- Summer 2015 Newsletter
- May 2015 Newsletter
- April 2015 Newsletter
- March 2015 Newsletter
- February 2015 Newsletter
- January 2015 Newsletter
- December 2014 Newsletter
- November 2014 Newsletter
- October 2014 Newsletter
- September 2014 Newsletter
- Summer 2014 Newsletter
- May 2014 Newsletter
- April 2014 Newsletter
- March 2014 Newsletter
- February 2014 Newsletter
- January 2014 Newsletter
- December 2013 Newsletter
- November 2013 Newsletter
- October 2013 Newsletter
Frequently Asked Questions:
How is MCCOAA Governed?
A constitution and bylaws, and a volunteer, elected Board of Directors govern the MCCOAA. The Board consists of a President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and three Trustees. Working committees, including Hospitality, Mail, Membership, Nominations, Programs, Publicity, Travel and Tuition Rebates, are established with chairpersons and staff members who plan and coordinate OAA’s many activities.
The annual meeting is held at the May luncheon meeting.
How Do I Join the MCCOAA?
Membership is open to all persons age 50 or older. Our membership year is from September 1 – August 31, corresponding to the academic year. Annual dues are $15. Membership is effective on the date your payment is postmarked or presented in person and is valid for the remainder of the current membership year, except that dues postmarked from June 1 – August 31 are valid for the remainder of the summer and for the upcoming membership year.
Just download a membership form, print the PDF file, fill in your information, clip off the stub for your records and mail the form with your dues check to:
Manchester Community College, MS# 16
P.O. Box 1046
Manchester, CT 06045-1046
Can I Take Classes?
Our motto is “Never Stop Learning!” MCC’s Continuing Education Division offers a wide variety of low-cost, credit-free courses and lectures designed specifically for older adults. Many enjoy inviting a son, daughter or friend to attend with them. There are no tests or grades, and courses are designed to be friendly, fun and informative. Among many others, each semester’s course topics usually include:
- Health & Fitness
When, Where and How Much are Classes?
Most courses meet on campus at MCC, MCC on Main, or one of MCC’s off-campus sites. Short courses start each week throughout the year and registration is ongoing. Courses are self-supporting. Fees between $5 and $150 are charged for most courses. OAA members are eligible for tuition rebates (see above) on all credit-free courses costing over $10. Rebate applications and instructions are printed in the course catalogs and in most UPDATE newsletter issues.
How Do I Enroll in Classes?
It’s easy! The quarterly credit-free course catalog includes registration forms that can be filled out and mailed to the college with a check or credit card information. You can also register with your credit card at the phone-in registration line, 860-512-3232, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Visit the Continuing Education webpage or call 860-512-2800 during the above hours for more information or a course catalog.
Can I Teach a Course or Present a Lecture?
The Continuing Education Division is always looking for new course ideas. To submit a proposal, please visit Teaching for Continuing Education.