GI Benefits

Chapter 30 and Chapter 106

Students and Veterans must bring a copy of the following documents:

  • Discharge papers (DD214) or Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE).
  • Current registration.
  • Any other information that you feel will apply to your situation.

Upon your arrival:

  • Request Form 1990, Application for Educational Assistance. (You may fill it out immediately or on your own time).
  • Inform the representative of your current major. (Only classes pertaining to your major will be certifiable).
  • To make the process quicker we suggest that you submit all of your information and requirements at the same time. This will avoid the possibility of any delays in processing your application and forms.

If you have any questions in regards to your file, you may request an appointment with the Veterans Aide. Please set aside 15-20 minutes for your appointment.

Be sure you obtain the pamphlet titled "Summary of Educational Benefits" that pertains to your particular program i.e., Chapter 30, Ch.106, Ch.31, Ch.35 or Tuition Waiver. These pamphlets will answer many of your questions and inform you of your duties and responsibilities in regards to your receiving benefits.

What should you do if you disagree with a VA decision?

Chapter 30: You may appeal VA decisions on educational benefits to the Buffalo VA Regional Office. You must file an appeal within one year of the date you receive notice of a decision. Each notice of decision, issued by the VA in Buffalo, contains your legal rights and the appeal procedures. You may request a personal hearing on your claim.

Chapter 106: If you disagree with a decision about your basic eligibility, you must contact your unit, National Guard Education Officer, or Army Reserve Education Services Officer. VA does not have authority under the law to reverse eligibility determinations. If your eligibility status is corrected, VA will pay benefits for periods during which you were eligible.

If you need assistance in filing an appeal, contact the nearest VA regional office or veteran's service organization.

Last Update: May 24 2013
For additional information, contact Julie Greene